Study: Fla. property taxes average compared to other states
WASHINGTON – March 1, 2017 – The average American household spends $2,149 on real estate property taxes each year, plus another $402 for residents of the 27 states with vehicle property taxes. With such high costs, it’s no surprise that about $11.8 billion in property taxes go unpaid each year, according to the National Tax Lien Association.
To determine who pays the most relative to their state, WalletHub, a personal-finance website created a 2017 Property Taxes by State report.
Overall, Florida ranks near the middle for property taxes – No. 27 out of 50 states – even though it’s one of only a handful of states without a personal income tax. In addition, WalletHub looked at vehicle property taxes paid each year, and Florida is one of the 24 states that don’t charge any vehicle tax.
- Real-estate property tax rank: No. 27
- Vehicle property tax rank: No. 1
- Real estate tax on median state home value: $1,686
- Real estate tax on median U.S. home value: $1,894
- Vehicle property tax on best-selling car: $0.00
© 2017 Florida Realtors